Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Why the kids are in the Orphanage

The kids we met are in the orphanage for many reasons, which you can probably guess. Their parents are either deceased, in prison, walked out, abused them, or alcoholic. We met them all. The government takes many kids out of their homes and puts them in the orphanage. It's good for the kids to get out of the situation they're in, but it's bad because the new situation is terrible as well.



Jenya is in the orphanage because her mother beat her. This is very confusing for a few reasons. First, she has a few younger sisters who are still home with mom. Why haven't they been taken away? Why was Jenya the only one beaten? We don't know. Jenya is an absolute doll. She has a tremendous spirit and personality. She was talkative and loving. She was constantly giggling. The whole week showed us absolutely nothing but just an amazingly sweet little girl. How could someone beat her?

Oleg doesn't know his father. His mother is extremely ill, and probably will pass soon. Oleg thinks of mom often, and misses her. After we talked about her mom, he was very saddened, and spent a majority of the dinner thinking to himself about her. I asked him if he had a picture of his mom. He said, "No." I asked our Ukranian leader if it was possible to get him a picture of his mom, and she said, "No." I don't understand this. Is it that we CAN not get a picture, or that we WILL not get a picture. I don't understand how Oleg's mother can be alive, and no one can drive or walk over to get a picture for this boy. Ridiculous. It is heartbreaking to see him just sit there thinking about his mom.

Each kid has a story. We were able to learn a few of them, and each story should make us appreciate the family that we have. I am so thankful that I have parents and sisters I can call, whether to talk, or to get advice and support. I am so thankful for my wife, who I get to hug every day, see across the room, and who tells me every day that she loves me. I wish these kids could have that person.

No comments: